Saturday, October 8, 2011

SCOUT STORIES: Making a Difference in Cub Scouts

 by Jonathan Allen, WEBELOS 2

These are all things I’ve learned while being in Cub scouts. You start in Cub scouts as a Tiger Cub, and then you move to being a Wolf Cub. After that, you move into the Bear den. Later you become a Webelos one and two. In Webelos one you start training to become a Boy Scout.

I have earned many badges; beginning with the Bobcat badge. My uniform displays most of my awards such as traveler, naturalist, athlete, fitness, and citizen. I am currently working on my Webelos badge as I train to become a Boy Scout.

Boy Scouts have been around for 100 years. A scout is Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent. This is known as the Scout Law. These traits have been passed down through the years.

Scouts are known for helping the community.

Last fall I participated in Scouting For Food. My pack and I collected food from neighbors and gave them to a food pantry. This is a program that feeds people when they need help.

Scouting also has a Leave No Trace awareness campaign. This reminds everyone not to litter or leave behind any trash or trace.

I honor the phrase “to do my duty to God and my country” by learning about and respecting the American flag. I learned how to display, carry and fold the flag.  My pack also helped a local group properly retire old flags.

I love helping the community and making a difference.

I love being a part of Cub scouts, and you could join too!!


No comments:

Post a Comment